Sunday, November 27, 2016

An open letter from Jonathan Pahnke to my children

To all my children:

It takes a lot of courage to put your heart out there for all the world to see, and to openly admit one's mistakes. But as the holiday season is once again upon us, and after the recent occasion of my youngest child from my ten year marriage's birthday passing, once more, utterly void of opportunity for my inclusion, I am forced by the pain the absence of my children in my life affects to reflect upon mistakes of the past as I embark upon what will likely be the last leg of my journey in this world (should the Lord not determine otherwise). A little more about what has brought me to this point.

While most people look forward to the holidays with joy at the prospects of seeing friends and family, for me, it is a painful reminder of a cruel alienation, some caused by my own choices, some caused by others and just by life, (the original sin of pride and post-divorce fallout being the main culprits); but whatever the mechanisms that have brought me here, and the cruel aspects of its result in my (and sadly your), my dear children's lives, the knowledge of my own mortality has forced me to come to the point of taking this drastic action notwithstanding what my detractors and those who don't really know me might think or say about me. Indeed, it has caused me to here bare my heart in the earnest hopes that somehow, you, my children, might read these words and it provide you some solace (or at least understanding) about my absence these many years and how sorry I am for my part in it, (which ultimately I take responsibility for, see below).

Some of you, (I'm talking here primarily about my adult children from my marriage of ten years), I haven't seen or spoken with for many, many years due to a multitude of complicated factors I won't go into here and my own cowardice, and I realize you may hold anger or resentment towards me, (or even worse, think I am angry or resentful towards you, which is not the case!)

You may even feel like you don't want to know or understand how sorry I am for my many past mistakes, how I long to make amends for them, or the “other side of the story.” If that remains your opinion after reading this open letter I will respect that. All I am asking for is a chance to be heard.

I also want to assure you at the outset that I have no desire to interfere in your own families (if married) or interrupt any relationships you may have with any “step” or other “father figures” currently in your lives, nor “put you in the middle” of any issues that may remain between your mother and myself, (however ancient); That wouldn't have been fair at any age, but it certainly isn't respectful to the mature and independent individuals I am sure you now are.

Indeed, I want you to know my goal is not to cause any problems for you in your life or to run anyone else down, leastwise your mother, who, for all our battles, I am sure raised you as best she could and was, at least for the years we were together, a faithful and good mother and wife, (years which in truth were the best and happiest of my life helping bring you into this world and watching you grow in your early years!) Time has a way of making us revisit our past decisions with humility and new perspectives (and hopefully grace for others), and I know the choices your mother had to make due to our separation and my own stupidity throwing away our nine (relatively good) years by following through with divorce (and re-marriage) so quickly all those years ago couldn't have been easy on her, (indeed, I can't fault her for any of them for that reason).

But regardless how you react, (or don't) to my clumsy attempt at opening a dialogue, I would be lying not to say that my earnest desire is that the God of all reconciliation and renewal who brings the dead back to life might yet be able to breathe life into our severed relationships in order that I could somehow, even now so many years later, be able to provide you with some support and/or closure that can only come from some form of relationship restoration, or in the very least, communication.

I also must be honest and admit I have great curiosity to know about what and who you have become in this world! Questions like “What do you do for a living?” “Have you married?” “Do you have children of your own?” and “Am I a grandfather?” bounce across the neurons in my brain daily in an unceasingly painful reminder that things are not as they should be, the answers for which can only come by making a determined effort at communicating. And so I write.

I realize, of course, it's not all up to me, and I can't control the outcome; to the contrary, I think much (if not most of the outcome) depends on your reply and/or what God wants to do with my feeble efforts.

And it's not as if you aren't all smart kids. I know you are, (and certainly smart enough to know there are two sides to every story). In that regard you may have questions of your own about lots of things in the past, (e.g., why I filed for divorce initially all those years ago, why I didn't agree to reconcile with your mother when she called and asked me 3 days before I was set to remarry, why I moved away and stayed away for so long, how the two of you came to live with me for a time, why I moved to TN and why I ultimately gave you back to your mother, just for starters), my life in the present, or your half brothers and sisters. I would be happy to “fill you in” on the other side of these things if you want to know.

Or perhaps you're going through a trying time of your own and/or just need to understand where you came from and why you are the way you are, (as like it or not we all are products of a combination of the characteristics of both our mother's and father's, whether good or bad, which sometimes effect us in ways we don't even realize until much later). I know even your mother can attest to this from just the troubles in her own family of origin and the important need she had to reconcile with her family in spite of the past, (I am sure she can speak to this much better than I).

But even if you decline to respond, and the kind of restoration of relationships that I long for never materializes, at least I have done my part so that you will know that the father you never knew, or knew only briefly or through the memories and tales of others, long-faded and distorted with time and repetition like an old game of “telephone,” has never stopped loving and praying for you in spite of the distance and passage of years. (Of course, most of you are no longer children who need to rely on distorted messages whispered into your ear, but grown adults able to make up your own minds and capable of hearing full information and coming to your own determinations, another reason that I write with high hopes). Regardless or the outcome however, by opening the door I can take some comfort in knowing in my heart I have done what I felt I must to give you some closure, (if nothing else), and hopefully a possibility for a better ending than beginning.

In full disclosure, as alluded to above I don't deny it's perhaps partly out of selfish motivations to ease my own conscience and curiosity that I write, but I am getting on in years now, and not a day goes by that I don't wonder who you have become and suffer from a hole in my heart that our estrangement has affected (along with taunts of my own relationship choices from the past).

In that regard, and from a perspective that only age and mortality can provide, how I wish I had fought to remain in your life, whatever the consequences or effort it would have taken! (instead of taking the easy and less confrontational path until there was no other path available but to fight over things that, in the end, really don't matter and which pale in comparison to what all of us to varying degrees have undoubtedly been robbed of, the ability to be in right relationship with all those who love us and to know and understand where we came from). But alas, I cannot go back!
It is for this reason in particular that my heart aches for all of you with the questions of what might have been had certain different outcomes occurred, and to all of my children I sincerely say, I am so very sorry I allowed my own demons and fears to alienate me from you instead of doing whatever it took to remain in your lives! Indeed, my own fears and difficulties, as well as other matters I have only briefly alluded to here, are no excuse. No matter the difficult choices we all face, we can always make better ones to keep our commitments, and ultimately are responsible for the consequences when we don't, (sometimes brutally so). It's a law as ancient as sowing and reaping, and for that, I can only blame myself.

I only hope (and pray) there is still time to right the ship in some small measure. But let me be clear: I make no demands and am under no illusions as to your response. In fact, I don't expect you to instantly welcome me into your lives from my posting here, (if you even see this).

Indeed, although it took a lot of courage for me to write this, I know it would take much more for you to reply (in fact, I would count it as a minor miracle!)

Rest assured if you do respond there is no obligation to continue, or to even decide at this point what the ultimate goal of opening a dialogue with me would even be (really I would be happy just to hear you are still alive as well as anything else you want to share!) All I can say is pray and follow your heart (which is what gave me the courage to post this!) But in the event you are tempted to respond but still feel unsure about the consequences, here are a few thoughts that may provide some comfort in wrestling with such an important decision.

First, if it makes it easier for you, no one need know of your reply, (if you should in fact choose to). This is your decision, and no one else's, and anyone who would advise you otherwise either doesn't respect your decisions as an adult or has their own ax to grind and/or is afraid of the truth you will learn, (which might make you want to ask, “What are they afraid of ” if they have been straight with you?).

I also can promise that if you should choose to enter into a dialogue with me, I will be respectful and honest with you, and have much documentation to prove what I say, (rather than just empty words, as they say, talk is cheap). I also promise to hold our conversations and anything you tell me in complete confidence until such time as you wish, if ever, for others to know.

But I lost my father at a very young age in life as well, (albeit due to different circumstances), and am distinctly aware of the sort of pain that can cause in one's life. In light of that, I simply could no longer live with myself if I didn't at least give you the option of contacting me.

To that end, if you want to reach me you can respond with your contact info by “commenting” below, (which is private and only I can see), or emailing me at my full name (first and last) at gmail.com.    

Again, I would love to hear anything you want to tell me, and would pledge to help you in any way possible!

As for my younger children, (esp E, S) I want you to know how much I love you and pray for you all the time! I know it's taking a long time, so much longer than I would want, but I am working hard to get to a better place so I can have something more to offer you, and am intent on learning from my past mistakes! Just don't give up! Remember God's promise that has sustained me through many lonely, dark years, found in Jeremiah 29:11, “I know the plans I have for you, says the Lord, plans for good and not for evil, to give you a future, and a hope!” And if you are hurting, scared, or facing hard decisions, talk to a guidance counselor or some adult in authority at school. They can almost always help to intervene in a bad circumstance.

To all of my children, I miss you terribly, and promise one day we will be together again! Indeed, I believe it is God's will to “turn the hearts of the children back to their fathers,” (Mal 4:6), and to “reconcile all things in Christ,” (see Col 1:20).

With a broken heart and more love for you than I could ever express with words,

Your father,


Jonathan Pahnke

No comments:

Post a Comment